ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises works with the poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Position: Consultant for Local Rights Programme Assessment
State: Yobe and Ekiti
- As part of ActionAid Nigeria’s plan to expand its areas of intervention across Nigeria with the aim of increasing her engagement with the poor and marginalized, ActionAid intends to continue its approach of Local Right Programme (LRP) through its funding Mechanisms tagged “Community Sponsorship” in the states of Ekiti and Yobe.
- The core strategy for the LRPs is in accordance with the AA global strategy as spelt out in the AAN CSP –working in partnerships to eradicate poverty. This partnership involves the local NGO, Women, men, girls and boys in poor and marginalized communities, the local and traditional leadership, local government officials and central government agencies, the private sector and any development actors already working in, or willing to work in the LRP, in a connected effort to ensure that those who are poor and marginalized secure sustained improvement in the quality of their lives, through promoting access to basic rights and services.
- The critical inputs in this strategy involves capacity building and nurturing local structures and the people themselves to continuously analyse their situation, identify workable actions and have the skills to take the needed actions which may often include engaging duty bearers, to ensure equity in the allocation of resources. The strategy also involves the use of same analytical tools and frameworks for the analysis of social and power relations in the communities and taking appropriate actions to make corrections in favour of the excluded and marginalized.
- It is in this light that ActionAid seeks to engage a Consultant to conduct an Assessment/Appraisal in the target states (Ekiti and Yobe).
The following are expectations from the consultant:
- Take a lead on contextual analyses and identification of programme areas for the LRP in line with the context and AAN CSP ;
- Conduct assessment of potential partners for the implementation of the LRP programme using PAM framework;
- Facilitate the Selection of potential communities for LRP intervention;
- Carry out appraisal of potential communities of intervention using HRBA principles;
- Produce detailed report of the appraisal and share with ActionAid within agreed date and template.
Qualifications and criteria for selection
- Knowledge of research and monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative;
- Knowledge of local governance and conflict issues (desirable)
- Excellent computer skills;
- The individual’s or his/her organisation’s work respond to the needs and interests of poor and marginalised women, men, aged, people living with disabilities and other forms of diversity;
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with development partners;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments in the past;
- Availability within two weeks of offer on contract.
- The consultant(s) must have background knowledge of the states and the ability to speak common/local language of the state which the assessment will be conducted;
- Hands on experience in conducting partnership Assessment using PAM framework;
- Evidence of experience on use of HRBA in programming;
- Experience in work done in poor rural communities of Nigeria;
- Demonstrable experience of producing high-quality, credible research/assessments (sample report of such is required);
- Understanding and experience of working with state and non-state actors (at all levels) and international organizations;
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- Unless otherwise agreed, the consultant shall work in the state where the assessment will take place.
- ActionAid will cover the cost of transportation, accommodation and per diem according to ActionAid rate during fieldwork.
- The selected consultant will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools needed for the task. Interested consultants are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency.
- S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment and space except where otherwise stated.
Timelines for Submission of Deliverables
- First draft of the report shared with AAN on 18th February 2019
- AAN share feedback on report with Consultant on 21st February 2019
- Final reports to AAN 25TH of February 2019
- Ownership of outputs
- Outputs of the work done as stipulated in the call for expression of interest belongs to ActionAid Nigeria.
Mode of Payment
- Please note that an advance of 50 % will be paid after successfully signing of the contract by AAN and the successful consultant, while the remaining balance will be paid upon satisfaction of the agreed deliverables in the contract.
- ActionAid shall however deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) for individuals and 10% for limited (LTD) and public companies (PLC); and remit to relevant authority. The successful applicant would be required to provide AAN his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN) for the purposes of remittance.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified canidates should send an Expression of Interest electronically to: [email protected] using the subject line “Assessment for Local Rights Programme in Yobe and Ekiti states” .
Application Deadline 2nd February, 2019.
Share with your love ones