The Nigerian Red Cross, as part of its strategic plan to position itself as Nigeria’s leading humanitarian and disaster management intervention organization, is currently recruiting highly professional and mission-focused individuals to fill the key position below in the organization.
Successful candidates will be joining a visionary organization with an extensive network of local branches in every state and over 800,000 volunteers working closely with those in need of humanitarian assistance.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Position: Head of Finance and Resource Management
Reporting lines: Reports to Secretary General
- The head of finance Provides strategic direction and guidance to finance department.
- He/she is in charge of planning, directing, organizing and controls the operations of the department to ensure NRCS achieves its mandate in accordance with accepted accounting principles and NRCS policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to NRCS strategy planning and development. Leads the budgeting process and guides the management on compliance and rationalisation.
- Provides technical support to budget holders/head of units in development of their budgets.
- Support in fund raising strategies and putting supportive systems in place to ensure accountability
- Oversees cash flow management process, making sure that funds are available for operational use. Coordinates cash forecasts with HoD´s and branch teams.
- Consolidates the NRCS budgets and give an overview picture to the senior management team.
- Reviews monthly budget monitoring reports and take corrective action
- Accounting and book keeping
- Oversees payment process to ensure that all transactions are within accepted standards and in accordance with laid down processes
- Set up a functioning accounting system that ensures transactions are captured accurately and on a timely manner
- Set up a month end calendar and ensure it is strictly adhered to
- Reviews and validates all balance reconciliations
- Carrying out frequent data backups for the finance department
- Maintaining proper physical files and computer files and folders to enable easy retrieval of information by the organisation and others.
- Set up water tight systems and procedures that aim at safeguarding organisations assets against loss due to errors or fraud
- Finance policy custodian- Regularly revise the finance manual & internal procedures as needs arise
- Evaluating internal control system and procedures, highlights the short comings and implementing necessary recommendations
- Ensures adequate separation of roles in the finance department
- Puts in place approval matrix and ensures the limits are strictly adhered to.
- Supervises asset management, ensures the verification exercise is done on regular basis, asset register is updated and approved.
- Cash and bank payments are done in accordance with laid down process, ensuring monthly reconciliation is done.
- Provides financial information to management for decision making.
- Ensures flow of financial information is done in a systematic manner-Monthly and quarterly reports
- Prepares statutory financial reports on a timely manner and share with relevant authorities
- Reviews and validates partner/donor reports
- Managing staff in the finance department so that all staff are able to perform & fulfil their responsibilities
- Develops finance structure and ensures the department has adequate expertise in achieving efficiency, effectiveness in supporting NRCS using customer oriented approach
- Participates in recruitment of new staff within the department
- Inducts and training of new staff
- Effective delegation, support and follow up to build capacities of finance staff
- Maintaining a motivated and effective team
- Periodic establishment of objectives and carrying out regular performance reviews
- Supporting finance staff in development of learning objectives and championing necessary training opportunities with the aim of increasing departments expertise
- Building and maintaining good team work spirit and cooperation between finance and programme,
- Ensuring programme staff are trained in relevant aspects of financial management
- Participation in regular project management meetings
- Ensuring a proper understanding of field operations, including risks and practical limitations.
- Audit and risk management
- Prepares for external audit and ensures auditors get full access to financial information required for the purpose of audit
- Support in addressing management comments and adopting audit recommendations-Comes up with plan of action to address management comments.
- Together with the internal auditor, identify organisational risks and develop a plan of action to mitigate the risks.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration
- Master’s in Finance/Accounting.
- Bachelor’s of Commerce in Accounting or Finance Management
- Certified chartered accounts/Certified Public accountant.
- CPA, ACCA or equivalent experience;
- At least 10 years professional experience, including working in Non-Governmental Organization
- Proven experience in staff supervision.
- Experience with large ERP systems, as well as knowledge of accounting software preferred;
- Strong financial analysis and excel skills;
- Strong accounting knowledge, analytical/problem solving skills, creativity and initiative.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment and effectively promote the NRCS’s mission, values, and objectives.
- Ability to identify financial, operational and compliance risks, and to develop appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- In depth knowledge of accounting principles, finance and funder regulations
- Excellent organizational skills and strong customer service focus and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
Position: Assistant Coordinator – Finance and Resource Management
- Responsible for Accounting, payroll, budgeting, reporting, cash forecasts, review of branch returns and justifications.
- The position reports to the Head of Finance and Resources Management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and reconciles WHT schedule
- Prepares and reconciles PAYE schedule
- Makes monthly remittance of pension contributions
- Resolving payroll discrepancies(if any)
- Responsible for processing payroll, remitting payroll taxes as well as preparing monthly, quarterly and year-end payroll statements.
- Collecting, calculating, and entering data in order to maintain and update payroll information
- Ensuring that all payroll transactions are processed efficiently
- Prepare Payroll bank transfer each month end
- Compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions and reporting on this
- Making monthly returns of PAYE and WHT deductions to FIRS and other tax authorities.
Budgeting & Reporting:
- Provide input, support and guidance to the budget process by working closely with program staff. This includes core cost budget and program activity budget
- Support in review of branch budgetsfor quality assurance purposes and ensuring that costed budgets are realistic and arithmetically checked as correct
- Input the budget in the accounting software once approved.
- Support in review of Finance branch reports, ensuring that costs are booked into correct budget lines and cost centres
- Check and review partner financial reports
Cash Flow Management:
- Monitor cash flow for both HQ and branches, ensuring that the activities are not disrupted because of in availability of funds. Work closely with branch finance and management team.
- Prepare cash requests and ensure that all supporting documents are adequate
Branch focal point for receiving financial returns:
- Review Zonal /Branch financial returns
- Consolidating Zonal financial returns with Headquarters financial records.
- Prepares and process branch funds advance/disbursement requests
- Support in finance capacity building plans for the branches
- Custodian of Asset Register of NRCS inventory of equipment and assets and updating of the register on monthly basis
- Tagging exercise for all equipment
- Coordinate and conduct assets verification exercise and submission of annual fixed asset register to SG
- Work closely with logisticians towards upholding best practices in asset management
- Plan and Coordinate periodic verification of Stock takes.
Job Qualifications and Requirements
- Understanding of development field such as NGOs or institutional donors is desirable
- Demonstrated record of accurate and timely reporting
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to complete task and meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented approach with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Can communicate and present in clear, precise and structured ways and effectively.
- University degree in accounting or finance with preference professional certification in accounting (ACCA/CPA/CNA)
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English
- Excellent Microsoft Office application especially Excel. Desirable knowledge in financial system applications
- A minimum of Five years relevant work experience in finance and accounting is required.
- Proven experience in managing large budgets
- Demonstrated expertise in using accounting systems
- Ability to provide technical guidance and advise especially to non-finance colleagues
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Curriculum Vitae and application letters with the position applied for as subject of the email to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 8th February, 2019.
Note: Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Share with your love ones