Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Position: Consultant, Technical Assessment to Measure the Potential of Small and Medium Scale Mud Block Producers
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00047
State: Various locations within Borno State
Length of Assignment: 2 month assignment
Working day: 5 per week
Reporting to: Shelter Program Manager
Start Date: ASAP
- Assessment to measure the potential of small-medium scale mud block producers to adopt stabilization techniques and exploring the potential market in MAIDA target LGAs of Borno state.
Scope of Work
- Cement or mud blocks are the basic material for building construction in Borno. Mud blocks are observed as more in demand due to economy, affordability and availability as compared to cement blocks.
- MAIDA program has been exploring local market to explore potential of advancing mud block production through introducing low cost stabilization techniques and finally train youth to start small business.
- MAIDA is looking for an individual to conduct this assessment as described above to work under direct supervision of Shelter Program Manager;
- Vocational training component of Mercy Corps MAIDA program aim to support youth those return to their origin by providing training and support to start their small businesses in target LGAs.
- Mercy corps is in process of identifying potential trades and explore the possible collaboration with local artisans and institutions to train youth on pre-identified trades for income generation.
- Construction related trades are highly in demand as housing reconstruction and repairs remain an acute need of returnee households during recovery phase due to vast devastation.
- Comparative strength analyses of stabilized mud blocks, ordinary mud blocks and cement blocks using different stabilizer ratios and bonding additives.
- Exploring local market absorption level for new techniques to produce mud blocks
- Exploring institutional linkages to see possible MAIDA partnerships to introduce the technique and train artisans and youth
- Required Education level: HND/Bachelor’s degree in of Civil Engineering or Building Construction
- Language Proficiency: Fluent in Hausa & English, other local languages are preferable
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: [email protected]
Application Deadline 5th February, 2019.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Share with your love ones